Do you see a ton of people online, or maybe friends and family doing Meal Prep? Do you have all kinds of excuses as to why Meal Prepping is hard, won’t work for you, etc? I’ve had this conversation with people many times and all I ever hear are excuses as to why it doesn’t work from them, they can’t do it, or don’t have time.
Well Let me share with you as to WHY you should totally Meal Prep
Saves You Money- Let me explain how…Well first you are buying your food in bulk, with a purpose, and with meaning! This prevents excess spending, nights getting fast food, and extra spending. My husband and I go shopping Saturday/Sunday buy all of our food ($100 or less) and then cook all our meals for the week, and we don’t spend ANY other money on food the entire week. NOTHING! This has saved us so much money! No more random lunch runs, breakfast, coffee, we have planned all our meals and we have everything we need going into each week!
Saves You Time– So yes, when you do your Meal Prep day that will take a certain amount of time, anywhere from 45 minutes to 4 hours (depending on what you’re cooking, how from scratch you start). But during the week, you won’t be spending anytime figuring out what to cook, cooking, or running to the grocery store. Instead you’re maybe heating up food for 1-2 minutes. This is HUGE for my family. I am so busy, I have kids, I have work, I hate trying to figure out meals, I’d rather spend the time one day then everyday! And when you get super quick with it you can get it all done in a shorter amount of time!
Helps You Control Your Nutrition- Again back to the whole prepping for the week, you are no longer forced to pick up fast food, make poor decisions, get cheat meals, etc. Yes you can totally have planned cheat meal, but you make that choice, your not forced there! Also when you’re cooking your own meals, you know exactly what goes into your body! Again, totally crucial, you will put your nutrition in such a good path! Key to Weight-loss!
Want to know a few Pro tips to Meal Prepping?
- My husband and I eat the same breakfast, Lunch, Dinner all week! We cook a batch of something and eat the same thing everyday. It sounds boring but it makes us super efficient at meal prep, we try new recipes each week to spice it up and eat something different, and it saves money because we buy things in bulk.
- Get Meal Prep Containers that work for you! I had tupperware, but finding the tops, etc was too hard. So I bought containers that were perfect for me, and I keep them separate from my tupperware. This enables me to know exactly where everything is and I know I have the tops! 🙂
- Pintrest is your Friend! We use Pintrest every week! Totally open to new recipes that fit our diet plan, we find new things, try it out and move on if we don’t like it. Changing up your meals is key. I once ate Chicken & Asparagus for dinner for 4 months+, guess what? I won’t eat it again! lol
- Pre-portion Snacks- If you allow yourself to have snacks put them in ziplock bags so that you portion out what you can eat, even on snacks. This prevents you from downing an entire box of cookies.
- Do it with your family! It is so much easier doing meal prep with my husband and eating the same things. Now i’m not tempted to eat bad things or what he eats, because we’re in it together. You can find compromises for the both of you.
Good luck Everyone! I’m telling you, Meal Prep is Key to my Nutrition! And it can work for you!! Why do you Meal Prep?